Tourism News

Tourism News Phuketwan Tourism News
facebook recommendations


Sign up now for our News Alert emails and the latest breaking news plus new features.

Click to subscribe

Existing subscribers can unsubscribe here


Russian Fedor Samsonov, whose family was swimming nearby last night

Phuket 'Electrocution': Police Call for Wiring Check at Every Phuket Resort

Thursday, March 8, 2012
PHUKET: Police on Phuket are hoping authorities will organise a check of electrical wiring at every Phuket resort in the aftermath of the apparent electrocution of a tourist at a Karon resort last night.

Russian tourist Fedor Samsonov appeared to suffer severe shock as he grabbed a handrail after leaving the swimming pool at the Dewa Karon Beach Resort, on the hillside above Karon beach. He was still dripping wet.

A resort F&B manager, Surasak Pechtsud, 33, attempted to help Mr Samsonov, but also suffered apparent eletrical shock. Mr Samsonov's wife and two young daughters were still in the swimming pool when he suffered what appeared to be electrocution about 8pm.

Police will continue their investigations into the tragedy today, said Lars Ydmark, a well-known Phuket hotelier who opened the Karon resort under the Dewa brand on December 7.

''We are still waiting to get a clear picture,'' he told Phuketwan today. ''Our staff member who went to the man's assistance is ok today.

''He was checked at Vachira Phuket Hospital and allowed to go after observation.''

Mr Ydmark, who travelled to the resort last night when he heard about the incident, said when asked whether he could confirm it was an electrocution: ''We don't have the full facts. I can't say yea or nae to that.''

The resort manager would be assisting police investigations today, he said.

Colonel Boonlert On-Kang, of Chalong Police Station, went to the resort last night and was in no doubt about the cause of the man's death.

Colonel Boonlert said today he hopes authorities organise a check of all electrical wiring near resort pools across Phuket.


Comments have been disabled for this article.


Safety cut, 2000 baht.

Posted by Philip on March 8, 2012 10:50


Unfortunately such a sad story and so unnecessary.

"Colonel Boonlert said today he hopes authorities organise a check of all electrical wiring near resort pools across Phuket."

Admirable suggestion but who are the authorities responsible for inspection.

Posted by innocent bystander on March 8, 2012 12:05


deathpenalty for havin a vacation in Thailand... sorry for his family and RIP...

Posted by frog on March 8, 2012 12:45


Thailand is unique in many ways and this is what attracts tourists. Yet many assume the same safety standards as back home are applied and enforced in Thailand.

This is of course not the case.

Since the trips are usually sold by travel agents in developed nations, travellers rightfully assume these agents make sure adequate safety standards are in place.

I wonder what the liability of a travel agent is in such cases. They are in fact providing the product. I guess someone will have to take it to court to sort that out.

In the meanwhile one wishes that this "mai pen rai" attitude towards life-threatening negligence would be replaced by genuine concern for the safety of their guests / customers.

Posted by Steve C. on March 8, 2012 19:01


Never mind the resorts, what about the condos & other houses being built & sold as fitted to European standard? I have never seen houses in western Europe with the wiring nailed to the wall & 2 pin plugs, no earth.

Posted by Logic on March 8, 2012 20:49


No such thing as a Ground Fault Interrupter in Thailand?

Posted by mikey on March 8, 2012 22:40


"No such thing as a Ground Fault Interrupter in Thailand?"

Posted by mikey on March 8, 2012 22:40

Readily available mate and not expensive. Fact of the matter is they are not compulsory and why install something that will cost extra.

Posted by innocent bystander on March 9, 2012 10:05

Friday June 21, 2024
Horizon Karon Beach Resort & Spa


Facebook Twitter