''With two children, we were very careful,'' said Australian Zuhal Ergun, who ventured out with husband Hakan and daughters Sena, two, and Beyza, eight.
''We asked the captain before boarding on Phuket. The captain asssured us he had checked the weather forecast and that the the trip would be fine.''
Two speedboat sinkings off Phuket so far this year and a handful of narrow escapes are likely to increase pressure for Phuket's speedboats to be obliged not to put to sea on days when dangerous storms are forecast.
Turkish and Kuwait tourists backed the Hakan's statement that the speedboat, which sank in a violent storm off Phi Phi on Monday, should never have left Phuket.
The 13 tourists finally returned to Phuket late yesterday after being unable to board a Phuket-bound ferry from Phi Phi in the morning because of the crush of people wanting to leave Phi Phi.
Mr Egun said of the speedboat sinking: ''The boat crew were hopeless. We virtually had to put on lifejackets and organise our own evacuation from the sinking boat.
''I spotted the water coming up from the bottom of the boat. At first, the crew didn't believe me, until they opened a hatch and found it filled to the top.''
Mrs Egun, suffering cuts and scrapes as she clambered off the sinking vessel, managed to swim clear with Beyza.
But Mr Ergun, cradling his two-year-old, said he narrowly escaped going down with the speedboat as it sank, briefly pulling them under the water with it.
The 13 tourists - the first to be rescued, by boats from Phi Phi - were taken to Phi Phi.
The other 24 survivors had to tread water for an hour or more, awaiting rescue, before being picked up and transported straight back to Phuket.
That group were mostly Chinese and British. For those who could swim, it was an ordeal. For those who couldn't swim, it was a nightmare.
With the Australians among the ''forgotten'' speedboat passengers from Phi Phi who returned to Phuket yesterday were Turkish visitors Eylem Colak, 32, Gulben Gunduz, 34, and Kuwaitis Jaseem Alshirati, 55, with nephews Yosef Alshirati, 15, and Abdullah Alshirati, 13.
All of them confirmed that the captain had reassured passengers it was safe to go out, and said the sinking was a terrifying experience they would never forget.
A representative from PNT Travel, also operating under New Generation travel Co Ltd, organised for the 13 travellers to be met at Rassada Pier yesterday and transported to their Phuket resorts.
Envoys in Bangkok are likely to press government officials to improve safety standards on boat trips around the region by making sure speedboats stay anchored when violent Phuket storms are predicted.