Property News

Property News Phuketwan Property News
facebook recommendations

NEWS ALERTS

Sign up now for our News Alert emails and the latest breaking news plus new features.

Click to subscribe

Existing subscribers can unsubscribe here

RSS FEEDS

An artist's impression of how the Ace Condo project was intended to be

Pregnant Pause Adds to Delays for Phuket's Ace Condo Buyers

Friday, September 25, 2015
PHUKET: Refunds for purchasers deceived by Phuket's Ace Condo developers are likely to be delayed because of hiccups to the prosecution process, a police investigator said today.

The latest problem has been triggered by one of four designated victims who says she is pregnant and cannot travel from Bangkok for proceedings on Phuket.

''We have a letter saying doctors won't permit her to travel to Phuket,'' Lieutenant Anukul Nuket, of Patong's Kathu Police Station, told Phuketwan today.

''We must have at least four claimants who are capable of making the case to police and to prosecutors,'' the lieutenant said.

''We will be unable to co-ordinate a case unless the purchasers who want refunds are able to produce comprehensive evidence that enables Phuket prosecutors to proceed.''

A regular stream of Ace Condo investors continue to send emails to Phuketwan asking how the case is going. The answer: It's not.

Although the responsibility of the developers appears obvious, pursuing the case through the court could become the long, arduous process that Governor Nisit Jansomwong had hoped to avoid by negotiating a settlement.

With delays continuing and negotiations faltering, the governor gave police the go-ahead to proceed through the courts.

Now Lieutenant Anukul is suggesting that the problem with the pregnant woman who cannot come to Phuket is just one of a series of hurdles likely to slow progress in the Ace Condo case.

The first phase of the project was to be erected opposite Patong Hospital between February 2014 and April 2015 but work had yet to begin.

One woman told the governor earlier this year that she had invested 2,297,000 baht in four units, valued at about 10 million baht.

Others said they had paid upwards of 300,000 baht, some in monthly installments as part of an off-the-plan purchase.

Efforts to have the Ace owners explain what the problems were had failed, the condo buyers said, when they first took their pleas to the governor in April. Little appears to have changed since then.

Comments

Comments have been disabled for this article.

gravatar

The selling of off-plan units in Thailand ought to be outlawed because the legal system is just too weak to deal with any legal hiccups that might occur. Feel very sorry for the buyers here. The longer it drags on the less chance they will get anything back.

Posted by Terry Rockerfella on September 26, 2015 14:32

gravatar

Why 4? If there is one victim it is enough. Hhhhmm Thailand has strange rules, a Thai goes to Europe, Australia, US had a child they can stay and the child get citizenship. However in Thailand a parent can still not stay in Thailand even under permanent residency neither mind become a citizen.

Posted by Terrrrriffffffic Thai on September 27, 2015 04:22

gravatar

What about the regular stream of Ace condo investors who contact PhuketWan to ask about the progress of the case?
Is there no one more joining in this prosecution process? They better do! Otherwise the case fades away. And the developers are 'gone'.

Posted by Kurt on September 27, 2015 08:15

gravatar

This Ace Condo matter effects the total Phuket property market for sure.

Posted by Kurt on September 30, 2015 08:59

gravatar

can you give us an update.

Posted by paul schmierer on November 2, 2015 13:33


Saturday September 23, 2017
Phuketwan - Your sweet Phuket, every day

FOLLOW PHUKETWAN

Facebook Twitter