Tourism News

Tourism News Phuketwan Tourism News
facebook recommendations


Sign up now for our News Alert emails and the latest breaking news plus new features.

Click to subscribe

Existing subscribers can unsubscribe here


Sean Kenzie with a friend: He now faces a battle over medical bills

Phuket Crash Victim 'Trapped in Insurance Cash Wrangle'

Thursday, July 5, 2012
PHUKET: A 27-year-old New Zealand tourist is stranded in a Phuket hospital because of an insurance hiccup after a motorcycle crash, NZ media is reporting.

Sean Kenzie has already incurred $NZ18,000 in medical bills but an insurance company is refusing to pay, according to, and he is now in need of more treatment.

The report does not name the hospital in which Mr Kenzie is recovering from a smash on Phuket on Saturday night.

His brother Kane told the online site that Sean asked for full coverage and was surprised to find the insurance did not cover motorcycles.

Sean split his liver, punctured both lungs, broke ribs and still needs a major operation on his neck to reattach the muscles to his jaw, his brother says.

''They [the insurance company] never said to him motorbikes aren't included,'' Kane told the NZ site. ''He was going to a country where the primary transport is motorbikes.''

Mr Kenzie, who had been working as a roofer in Perth, was in Phuket waiting for his girlfriend, 26-year-old Amy Myles, to arrive so they could begin their holiday together.

Ms Myles had arrived in Phuket a day after Mr Kenzie only to find out that he was in hospital. It was the first overseas trip for both.

A Facebook page entitled 'Save Our Mates Life' has been set up to help raise money.


Comments have been disabled for this article.


sounds like he should seek care at some goverment hospital, phuket private hospitals are expensive if you don't have insurance to cover it!

Posted by Lizz on July 5, 2012 18:40


I understand his Dilemma but it would be the first thing you would ask if you take out a policy.
Plus it would be reasonable to expect he had a license in NZ or Thailand otherwise I can't see anyone covering any policy holder and therefore you would be taking a big risk

Posted by P win on July 5, 2012 18:56


it's fairly standard for no motorbike cover same as surf and dive.

Posted by michael on July 5, 2012 19:02


Being from Britain, I find it amazing how hospitals will not treat someone because they don't have insurance. Shouldn't they be saving a life before money?
Hippocratic Oath...or doesn't that mean diddly squat?

Posted by Tbs on July 5, 2012 19:29

Editor Comment:

My understanding is that all Phuket hospitals will save lives in all emergencies but - and I think you'll find this applies most everywhere except Britain - once you're out of danger, somebody has to start paying.


Dangerous activities like Paragliding, Surfing, Diving, Motorbike riding etc are virtually never included in a standard travel insurance.

Neither are they in your local health or life insurance. You have to pay extra for them.

As common sense should dictate this, I find it a bit odd to blame the insurance company for not mentioning it. I'm sure it's clearly stated in the terms of contract.

If these brothers knew motorbikes are the primary mode of transport in Thailand, why did they not ask the agent if it's covered or not ?

I'm sorry his brother has been injured and I hope he will make a full recovery but not everything is someone else's fault.

Posted by Andrew on July 5, 2012 22:41


obviously a bad situation for the guy but i think most policies do not cover motorcycle accidents. they may cover if you have a licence... to get a licence i believe you need a work permit or the appropriate long term visa which counts out most tourists. unfortunate.

Posted by Anonymous on July 5, 2012 23:36


I am sorry for this guy. I am not from Australia but I have been living here a couple of years and something similar happened to me a couple of months ago. I had a motorbike accident in Thailand and my travel COVER all my medical expenses without any problem. I remember the insurance company paid everything for me so it depends of the travel insurance company. Good luck

Posted by dave on July 6, 2012 08:12


You can get a driving license for a motorbike valid for one year with a tourist visa.

Posted by Sir Burr on July 6, 2012 08:38


Each year I travel to Thailand from Australia and I always take out insurance plus an international drivers licence. In my experience ive found your chosen Travel Insurance will cover motorcycles up to about 200cc - but you need to advise them and pay a little extra on the premium. Its money well spent when i read articles like this.

Posted by Miles on July 6, 2012 09:29


"Dangerous activities like Paragliding, Surfing, Diving, Motorbike riding etc are virtually never included in a standard travel insurance."
Diving and surfing are, based on statitics, these days normally not considered dangerous activities anymore, so are normally covered on standard travel insurance policies. Also on health and life insurances schemes they are quite often included in the standard coverage.

Posted by stevenl on July 6, 2012 13:57

Monday October 2, 2023
Horizon Karon Beach Resort & Spa


Facebook Twitter