Qin Jian, the Chinese Consul-General in Songkhla, told Phuketwan today that another Chinese tourist was still in Vachira Phuket Hospital's intensive care unit, recovering from a motorcycle crash.
The two deaths occurred in the first week of September, he said. The Hong Kong man was killed in a motorcycle crash in the Chalong area in southern Phuket.
The man's wife was seriously injured. She was now back in Hong Kong, Qin Jian said, and her husband's body had also been sent home.
In the same week, a tourist from the mainland was killed when he crashed a motorcycle in Thalang, the consul-general said.
Phuketwan and other Phuket media are not always able to report deaths or serious injuries on Phuket's roads or drownings at Phuket beaches.
The Governor of Phuket, Maitree Intrusud, has asked police and other authorities to let him know when tourists or expats are involved in incidents.
However, there is no mechanism for this information to become public.
In May, former Chinese Ambassador Guan Mu made a public plea for Phuket authorities to better protect tourists after a spate of snorkelling day-trip drownings.
One Chinese man was killed when struck by a speedboat propeller at scenic Pileh Bay, near Phi Phi on June 19. Two Chinese tourists died in a speedboat crash at Pattaya on August 28.
Tourists from other countries have also drowned or been killed or maimed in motorcycle crashes.
For years, Phuket's Public Health department issued monthly statistical updates on Phuket's road toll and drownings.
The updates ended abruptly in April last year and no information has been released since then.